1. Awareness Creation
The Nigeria Internet Group has successfully hosted International workshops on Internet connectivity in Nigeria, namely:
â€˘ "A way forward" in September 1995.
â€˘ "Implementing an affordable and Sustainable Internet connectivity
in Nigeria" in September 1995.
â€˘ "Promoting Internet Awareness and Strategies for effective Internet
Penetration and Use in Nigeria" n October 12, 2001 among
2. As a result of the previous efforts of the group, NIG received a Presidential directive to work with the Ministry of Communication to
remove all the constraints and obstacles to Internet Service Provision and Development in Nigeria.
3. NIG have organized and co-organizsd so many Internet training courses, Seminars, Conferences, Workshops and Exhibitions since 1995 to date, namely: Unix training in 1996, Training course for Naval Officers (NNS Quorra) in 1999 and 2C00. Some NIG members have also participated in the ISOC sponsored training for developing countries network technology workshop since 1995 to date.
4. Successful Co-organization of Africa In'ernet Summit (AFRINET) 1999 & 2000 with the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC). The NIG Internet Conventions (1st, 2nd and 3rd), NIG e-Business Conference, The Internet Initiative (I4J) Seminars flagged off in 2007 and has produced Six (6) I4J One Million Naira Grant Beneficiaries since 2007 to 2012, e-Business Round Tables and Investors Forums among others.
5. Through the awareness compoigns of NIG, Government was motivated to grant about fifty (50) Internet Provision licenses to organizations including NIG as the .ng comain name administrator.
6. NIG's awareness creation activities stimulated NITEL into initiating the 2mbps Internet Gateway and Backbone project linking Lagos to Abuja, Kaduna, Bouchi and Enugu among others.
7. As an advocacy Group, NIG has contributed immensely to the various ICT Policy and other issues of great importance to the government for the development of the Internet in Nigeria.